If you plan to visit Australia, you need to know that a car will be essential for easy transport. How much time you will be spending in the country also matters when it comes to your mode of transportation. If you are staying for weeks, hiring a car will do you good, but if you plan to stay for months or even years, purchasing a car will be economical. Australia is considered one of the countries where people are allowed to drive at a young age. At 14, you can drive under your parent’s supervision. Most states will offer you a driver’s license at the age of 17. These qualifications, however, change when it comes to hiring a car in Australia. Here is what you need to know
1. You must be 21 or older
Car hiring companies will only allow you to hire a car if you have attained 21. If you are an Australian citizen, this means that your license will be three years old. If you are a visitor, you should have an open license that has been operational for at least one year. additional charges are given to people below the age of 25 and above the age of 75.
2. A car hire insurance is mandatory
If you are planning to travel to Sydney and need car hire for special events, you need to understand that an excess cover is necessary. This insurance will cover you against damage to the car and other properties.
3. You pick the car when it’s a full tank, and it’s expected to return that way
Whether you pick the hired car at the airport or a designated point, the hiring company will bring the car when it is fully fueled. It is expected of you that it is as it was when you received it on the day of returning. If you are coming from overseas, it will be better to book a classic car hire in Sydney online.
4. You need to stay in contact with the hiring company the whole time
When you hire a car, the hiring company has the right to know where you are taking their car and what you are doing with it. For example, it is prohibited to take a rented vehicle into ferries. That is why you need to have GPS either on the car or your mobile phone.
5. Adhere to the road rules
Australian roads are well taken care of, and any mistake you make on the road will warrant infringement notices sent to the hiring company. Be assured that this will cost you a lot. Here are some basic rules you should never forget.
- Keep left when driving.
- Don’t make left turns on any red signals.
- Drunk driving is a crime. If you exceed the 0.5% limit, then you are on the wrong side of the law.
- Seat belts on all seats are compulsory.
- Never use your mobile phone when driving.
- Pay your fines before leaving the country. Failure might lead to the refusal of car hires or the cancellation of your visa to the country.